RECREATION PROJECT TECHNICIAN
Executive Services, Salt Spring Island Parks & Recreation
Status: Regular Full time
Hours of Work: 70 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay:$34.02 - $38.61 per hour
Review of applications begins: 4:00pm on December 3, 2021
This position is responsible for assisting with initiatives related to public consultation, project coordination, routine community planning, and the delivery of SSI services and public spaces. This position works closely with the Salt Spring Island Administration management team on community planning initiatives, including participating and coordinating the public engagement process.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Provides assistance to connect the Salt Spring Island Parks and Recreation Strategic Plan and other CRD planning documents with CRD service delivery.
· Assists to provide project coordination with a goal to ensure SSI initiatives, parks and recreation initiatives, are completed on time and within budget.
· Assists with the preparation and coordination of park and trail management planning, infrastructure, and site plans.
· Assists with the research and preparation of environmental, recreational or social studies and integrates this research into planning initiatives.
· Drafts reports on a variety of planning and project initiatives.
· Prepares and submits grant applications as required.
· Assists to organize and coordinate public engagement initiatives and public consultations.
· Coordinates and leads related projects and initiatives.
· Assists to prepare project charters, project scope and monitor project budgets.
· Liaises with CRD staff, including GIS staff on related GIS requirements.
· Undertakes research and participates in cooperative planning exercises with other stakeholders.
· Works with consultants on planning projects, as well as assists with the administration of contract and budgets.
· May act as a CRD representative to liaise with community stakeholders on related projects.
· Responds to enquiries from the public.
· Coordinates and/or participates on project teams.
· Assists with the preparation of data and related budget information.
· Conducts site visits, as required.
· Works cooperatively with staff, the public and commissions on projects as directed.
· Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD.
· Performs other related duties as required.
· A related degree, urban and regional planning, geography, public administration and community development, recreation management, business administration, with a focus on parks and recreation and project coordination.
· Three years related experience.
· Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills
· Experience preparing park and trail management plans, studies and policies.
· Some experience with environmental, recreational and social studies related to park and trail management
· Experience with project coordination and project management methodologies
· Experience with contact oversight including demonstrated ability to provide guidance and direction, as required.
· Experience coordinating and facilitating public engagement processes
· Ability to provide guidance and direction to external consultants.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships
· Some knowledge of park and trail planning principles and practices
· Knowledge of the concepts of park and trail planning and public sector land use planning
· Knowledge of natural area conservation and outdoor recreation management, ecosystem-based management and the use of environmental information in park planning
· Ability to collect and analyze data and understand a variety of technical reports, demonstrating a strong attention to quality and detail
· Knowledge of research techniques and principles
· Knowledge of and ability to use various computer word processing, spreadsheet and project scheduling programs and databases.
· Must possess a valid BC Driver’s Licence.
To keep our employees, customers and the communities we serve safe, the CRD has introduced an employee mandatory vaccination policy intended to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. As such, the CRD requires proof of being fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at https://www.crd.bc.ca/about/careers/current-opportunities/details?id=5450 or www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD thanks you for your interest and advises only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.