|Full Name||PARC CRD|
Hours of Work: Up to 64 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay: $23.91 per hour, plus 14% in lieu of benefits (2021 rates)
Review of applications begins: 4:00pm on July 4, 2022
Under the direct supervision of the Recreation Coordinator, the Preschool Instructor is responsible for implementing the Licensed Salt Spring Island Parks and Recreation Preschool Program for children ages 2.5-5 at the Rainbow Road Recreation Centre.
o Program dates to typically follow instruction school days. There will be program breaks during Christmas, Spring Break and summer holidays.
o Position and hours subject to program registration.
This position requires an acceptable criminal record check. The applicant/incumbent will be required to undergo a criminal record check in order to work in this position and to report to their supervisor if any criminal charges are laid against them that may be related to their employment in this position.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Responsible for the delivery of safe, healthy and enjoyable care for children ages 2.5-5.
• Supervise and lead the planning and organizing of activities for preschool children that promote, stimulate and develop their intellectual, physical and emotional growth in a play-based learning environment.
• Promote social experiences, respect for others, self-sufficiency and provide experiences and play materials that actively promote positive interactions, communications and diversity.
• Implementation and education of Positive Behavior Support strategies.
• Promote and enhance creative ideas in all program areas including arts & crafts, dramatic play, music appreciation, science and nature, sports, and outdoor play.
• Incorporate physical literacy and basic fundamental movement skills into daily activities.
• Ensure toys and all equipment is maintained with respect to safety standards and sanitary standards.
• Set up and clean up activity area.
• Ensure the safety and general wellbeing of the children at all times.
• Monitor use, distribution and excessive consumption of program supplies.
• Ensure Child Care Licensing Regulations as set out by Island Health are adhered.
• Maintain communication with supervisor and other department staff to ensure smooth operation of program.
• Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD.
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Completion of a Basic Early Childhood Education Certificate and one year of related experience leading preschool programs.
• Valid BC License to Practice Certificate (ECE).
• As a licensed care program, must be at least 19 years of age.
• Valid Standard First Aid and CPR Certificate.
• Demonstrated ability to apply VIHA license standards to daily practices.
• Knowledge and understanding of WorkSafeBC practices/protocols, Workers’ Compensation Act and OH&S Regulations and other relevant safety statutes.
• As a licensed care program, the successful candidate will require a statement signed by a medical practitioner indicating that the person is physically and psychologically capable of working with children.
• Consent to a Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check for working with children.
To keep our employees, customers and the communities we serve safe, the CRD has introduced an employee vaccination policy intended to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. As such, the CRD requires verification of your COVID-19 vaccination status as a condition of employment.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at https://www.crd.bc.ca/about/careers/current-opportunities/apply?id=5782 or www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”. To learn more about working with us, visit our website.
The CRD thanks you for your interest and advises only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.