Park Maintenance Worker
Salt Spring Island Administration
Status: Regular Seasonal (0.8 FTE)
Hours of Work: 80 hours bi-weekly (Feb-Dec)
Rate of Pay: $28.14 per hour (2021 rates)
Review of applications begins: 4:00pm on May 27, 2022
Notes This is a seasonal position requiring the incumbent to work an annual cycle of full-time hours from approximately mid-February to early-December each year. The incumbent is not scheduled to work in the remainder of the time.
The Park Maintenance Worker 2 carries out a number of general and specialized labouring tasks as well as ongoing maintenance. This position also provides routine information to visitors and patrols park areas to assist with ensuring the safety and security of park visitors and the protection of natural park environments and park facilities.
This position requires an acceptable criminal record check. The applicant/incumbent will be required to undergo a criminal record check in order to work in this position and to report to their supervisor if any criminal charges are laid against them that may be related to their employment in this position.
View full job description, including Duties & Responsibilities online at https://www.crd.bc.ca/about/careers/current-opportunities/details?id=5713 or www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
• Completion of Grade 12, plus a minimum of one year of directly related experience.
• Pool Operator Level 1 and 2 or willing to obtain.
• Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
• Knowledge of the methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment commonly used in such parks work as construction, horticulture, landscaping and general maintenance and development activities.
• Good knowledge of safety precautions required in the use of service vehicles, power driven horticultural equipment, chain saws, and other potentially hazardous hand tools.
• Basic knowledge of recreation activities common to community and regional park areas.
• Ability to perform a variety of skilled manual tasks requiring the use of independent judgement and action in the construction and maintenance of community and regional parks.
• Ability to operate and maintain service vehicles as well as other power driven machinery and equipment commonly found in community and regional parks operations.
• The ability to work with some independence as well as part of a team while demonstrating initiative to provide practical solutions to operational problems that arise.
• Ability to maintain routine records and log book entries related to work activities.
• Knowledge and understanding of WorkSafeBC practices/protocols, Workers’ Compensation Act and OH&S Regulations and other relevant safety statutes.
• Training in S-100 Basic Fire Suppression and Safety, Bylaw Enforcement and Chainsaw Safety and Use is required.
• The selected candidate will also be required to provide a driver’s abstract.
• Physically fit and able to perform heavy manual outdoor work in all types of weather conditions.
• Must possess a valid BC Driver’s Licence.
To keep our employees, customers and the communities we serve safe, the CRD has introduced an employee mandatory vaccination policy intended to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. As such, the CRD requires proof of being fully vaccinated as a condition of employment
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at https://www.crd.bc.ca/about/careers/current-opportunities/apply?id=5713 or www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD thanks you for your interest and advises only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted