|Full Name||David Karr|
Title: Mateada Manager
This is an exciting new opportunity at the Mateada. We are re-opening fall of 2021 pioneering a new concept for Mateada 2.0 as a regenerative culture hub curated for the arts and media. The Mateada will serve as a creative hub for the community to experience “unique and peak experiences” while discovering the magic of yerba mate ranging from hot mate and mate lattes, chilled nitro mate and yerba cocktails. The Mateada will re-emerge as a bar and lounge, cocktail-forward venue with vibrant live entertainment in the evening. By day, the Mateada will be run as a coop work space curated for the arts and media. We are looking for an inspired individual with expertise to co-create and run the Mateada on Salt Spring Island, BC. Mateada is owned by its parent company, Guayaki Yerba Mate, a founding member of the B corporation. Guayaki's vision is to inspire us all to Come to Life.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Manager supervises and coordinates activities of Yuyeros (Mateada team members) engaged in serving beverages and food to the local public. The Manager also is a skilled bartender and will be support bartender while business is growing and evolving. The manager also schedules shifts for Yuyeros, coordinates music and events and daily operations as described below. While always embodying Guayaki’s Vision, Mission and Values, the GM utilizes their effective and collaborative communication and project management skills to ensure efficient coordination internally with the team and externally with any Guayaki team members or other key suppliers and vendor contacts, in order to produce exemplary results in running the Mateada. The Manager is responsible for ensuring the high performance of their direct reports and that the duties of those roles are entirely fulfilled.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
• Manages all aspects of the day-to-day business operations.
• Sets the highest benchmark of excellence in service technique of all beverages, beers and cocktails leaving the bar.
• Sets the high benchmark of excellence in service technique.
• Works to create a relationship of warm hospitality with guests.
• Supervises all Team Member’s appearance and attitudes during their shifts, focusing on providing ultimate Guest experience.
• Maintains, updates and enforces bar opening, closing and side duty checklists.
• Ensures regular maintenance of bar related mechanical equipment
• Ensures all Coastal Health standards are being met at all time with no exceptions.
• Ability to understand dynamics of and interplay between item pricing, sales volume and margin. Ability to calculate costs, margin and to measure spending against budget.
• Manages staffing, schedules, and vacation requests.
• Assists in hiring new team members (Yuyeros) by working with PEO Canada (employment co.).
• Maintains relationships with all vendors and suppliers related to cost centers.
• Lead for all integrated functions with Guayaki Marketing and other support functions.
• Lead contact for Payroll service.
• Lead contact for bookkeeper.
• Lead for organizing regular bi-monthly cleaning for the space.
• Ensures that team members (Yuyeros) are properly trained and comply with all food safety regulations.
• Ensures appeal of printed materials such as menus and beverage lists.
• Upholds employee confidentiality at all times.
• Responsible for the hiring, training, and evaluation of all Yuyeros.
• Responsible to schedule to accommodate daily operations and special events.
• Responsible for creating and revising training manuals as needed.
Point-of-Sale (POS) Responsibilities
• Programs and updates pricing and functions of POS system regularly.
• Troubleshoots and processes voids and promotions as required.
• Supervises receipts, cash outs, and prepares bank deposits on a daily basis.
• Tracks daily sales and daily inventory.
• Books musical performers, events, and social media posts.
• Ensures that contractual agreements are prepared and signed.
• Ensures permits, if any, are filed appropriately.
• Exhibits knowledge and educates the public about Guayaki products.
• Shares Guayaki’s mission, answers questions, and educates others about Guayaki’s Market Driven Regeneration business model.
• Energizes team by creating an atmosphere of trust, accessibility, optimism, and integrity.
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards.
• Ability to think clearly and