Hiring Head Cheesemaker
|Full Name||Salt Spring Island Cheese|
The Salt Spring Island Cheese Company is looking for a full time Head Cheesemaker for its artisan goat cheese production facility.
Our company is a small family owned and operated business rooted in the community for almost 25 years. We have grown a reputation for making only the highest quality cheeses, in small batches, individually and carefully hand packaged, which can be found across Canada and into the US.
The Head Cheesemaker is responsible for the quality of the cheese produced by the company and provides expertise and other technical support to that effect. His/her role is to maintain recipes that allow for the production of cheeses that have excellent flavour and texture, are consistent between batches, are within the technical ability of the production staff to make, while using food safety practices.
Expectations and Responsibilities
The Head Cheesemaker ensures an ongoing quality by:
• Maintaining and developing functional recipes and procedures that conform to standards and are properly documented.
• Training and monitoring cheesemakers so that the appropriate knowledge and techniques are transferred.
• Performing cheesemaking and ripening tasks as well as working closely with staff in both departments, overseeing their performance to ensure the quality of the work.
• Maintaining food safety by taking responsibility of the Product Testing Program and of the Environmental Testing Program, which involve performing testing tasks, as well as supervising and monitoring the performance of testing staff.
Abilities and Qualities
• Experience in cheese making or food production preferred.
• Awareness of food safety and commitment to quality.
• Ability and interest in learning new things.
• Organization skills, consistency of work and attention to detail.
• Dependable, dedicated and hard working.
• Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly, even in difficult situations.
• Capacity to create systems for a good work flow.
• Ability to foster a team environment.
• Ability to train and monitor new and existing staff.
Position starts July 1st and involves 32 to 40 hours a week. Wage will be determined by experience.
Please apply by sending your resume at email@example.com.