Gulf Islands Bow Hunting Proposal
The B.C. Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations is proposing regulations to extend the hunting season of mule deer (our black-tailed deer) in the Gulf Islands. Currently, hunting on Salt Spring is allowed from Sept 10 until Dec 10. The new proposal plans to extend the hunting season by adding a bow only hunting season, from Aug 25- Sept 9, so 16 more days.
If you are against extending the hunting season on Salt Spring and the Gulf Islands, and/or if you are against bow hunting, you can go online and express your opinion. The Ministry of Forests & Land has opened an "engagement website" for your comments. A summary of website responses will be qualitatively analyzed, summarized, and forwarded to ministry decision makers for consideration. The ministry will post final regulatory and policy decisions on the website.
The deadline for voting is January 19th.
Here is how you can express your opinion:
To use the engagement website to comment, you are asked to first create a BCeID. You are only required to give your name and email address. Here are the steps to follow:
1. Go to: https://www.bceid.ca/directories/bluepages/details.aspx?serviceID=5563 and click on the blue button on the right called 'Register for a Basic BCeID'
2. Enter your Name, Email address, User ID and Password. Choose a User ID that will not identify you. (Comments and User ID's are visible to others).
3. Go to https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/hunting and click the Login button at the top right of the page. Enter the User ID and Password that you chose in the previous step, then click 'Continue'.
4. In the menu choose "Hunting", and scroll down the list to find the proposal : "Implement Mule Deer Bow Only Season on Gulf, Denman and Hornby Islands”. Click on the link (ie the blue text)
5. Go to the bottom of that page to choose your ‘Level of support’ and leave a comment if you want. You do not have to give your name. Only your User ID is visible.
PS: You can also approve the end of hunting ravens on Salt Spring. You can do it on the same “Hunting” page by clicking on the proposal link "Closure of Saltspring Island General Open Season for Ravens”.
Log out when you are done.
More information about bow hunting can be found here: