|Full Name||Greenwoods Eldercare Society|
|Phone||250 537 5561 x223|
|Location||Salt Spring Island|
Support Services – Dietary Cook I $23.81
Casuals positions available
Days and evenings
8 hour shifts
Reports to: Operations Manager
Greenwoods Eldercare Society (GES) is a not for profit healthcare organisation that provides a range of services including: Greenwoods Long-Term Care (LTC) Residence, Braehaven Assisted Living (AL) Residence and community programs including Meals on Wheels. Our goal is to deliver high quality, life-enhancing care that respects dignity, self-worth and uniqueness of all.
We are actively seeking individuals to become part of our team at our Long-term Care and Assisted Living sites. Initially joining on a casual basis, team members will have the opportunity to apply for temporary or permanent lines as they become available. This position is within HEU Union and pay $23.81/hour with weekend and evening shift differentials.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Cook I prepares assigned food items by methods/procedures such as roasting, frying, grilling, steaming, poaching, boiling, and baking under the direction of a Senior Cook.
• Prepares assigned food items by following established menus, recipes, and quantity quotas, determining ingredients and quantities required and assembling ingredients and equipment required for cooking.
• Plans preparation and cooking schedule.
• Record temperatures according to HACCP guidelines as required.
• Cooks and seasons assigned food and therapeutic diet items such as soups, sauces, salads, starches, meats, fish, poultry, vegetables and desserts by methods/procedures such as roasting, frying, grilling, steaming, poaching, boiling, baking and bulk rethermalization; tests food items for palatability and temperature and adjusts accordingly.
• Carves food items such as meat and poultry and controls portioning of food items to ensure recipe yield meets assigned quantity quotas.
• Maintains established food rotations in storage in order to minimize spoilage and waste.
• Assigns tasks to designated Food Service Workers.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
• Graduation from a recognized 12-month program in cooking or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
• Food Safe Certificate Level 1
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Ability to organize work.
• Ability to operate related equipment.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Benefits once eligible status is obtained:
● Enrollment in pension plan
● Dental and extended health care
● Disability and life insurance
● Vacation, sick time & special leave
Please submit your resume with attention to the following
Tracey Shaver, Human Resources & Office Coordinator
133 Blain Road, Salt Spring Island, BC, V8K 1Z9