|Full Name||SSI Parks and Recreation|
|Location||Rainbow Recreation Centre|
Employment Type: Auxiliary
Hours of Work: Up to 36 hours bi-weekly, as and when required. This position requires the ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings.
Rate of Pay: $28.58 per hour (plus 14% in lieu of benefits)
Review of applications begins: 4:00pm on September 25, 2023 but will remain open until filled
Aquatic Fitness Instructor delivers fun, safe, and inclusive classes that cater to people on Salt Spring Island with varying levels of fitness and abilities. They are positive and enthusiastic in leading and motivating the participants in their classes. As classes are scheduled at all times of the day, including mornings and evenings, applicants must be able to work a variety of shifts.
The applicant or incumbent will be required to undergo a criminal record check in order to work in this position and to report to their supervisor if any criminal charges are laid against them that may be related to their employment in this position.
• Recognized Aquatic Fitness Instructor Certification (BCRPA or equivalent), or willingness to obtain.
• Emergency First Aid (or Standard First Aid) certification with CPR-C.
• Experience leading fitness programs (aquatic or otherwise)
• An acceptable criminal record check will be required to work in this position.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please visit https://www.crd.bc.ca/about/careers/current-opportunities/details?id=6335 or www.crd.bc.ca and submit your application on our careers page.
We welcome all qualified applicants to apply and may consider a combination of experience, education and/or training where possible.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
People working in this role can expect to be responsible for performing the following duties. This list is not meant to be comprehensive and other related duties similar in scope and complexity may be performed.
• Plans and develops effective aquafit classes (including determining the appropriateness of content and music for the class/exercise).
• Performs set-up and clean-up duties of the equipment required for each class.
• Delivers effective program instruction for participants in a fun, inclusive, and safe manner.
• Ensures cleanliness of pool deck and surrounding areas.
• Assist with administration duties as required.
• Follows all policies, procedures, and standards of the CRD.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To be successful at the CRD, candidates should have a shared understanding of our Cultural Traits and Statement of Reconciliation with Indigenous peoples. Additionally, ideal candidates would possess the following role-specific knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Ability to develop harmonious relationships with aquatic fitness participants, the public and staff.
• Knowledge of how to develop and instruct fun and inclusive classes.
• Ability to instruct safe classes within the accepted scope of practice.
• Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, and customer service skills are required.
• Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment as well as to work independently.