What are the Salt Spring Exchange moderation guidelines?
Before posting on the Salt Spring Exchange, please be aware of our moderation guidelines.
Your ad or comments won’t be approved if:
- It wasn’t specifically local to Salt Spring Island
- It contains profanity, aggressive, violent language or is argumentative in nature
- It contains or promotes racist, sexist, xenophobic language or views
- You're making unverified and/or inappropriate accusations about a person or organization
- You or someone else has repeatedly posted similar items
- Your posting or something similar was sent more than once in the last 30 days
- Your message is intended to drive traffic to other online or social media services
- Your message is designed to drive traffic to surveys, contests or promotions
- Your message is directing our members to join other lists or similar services
- It contained content that might be considered not suitable for all ages
- If you didn't use your real first and last name
- You were trying to sell or purchase ammunition, weapons, firearms, narcotics, tobacco, or vape products
The Salt Spring Exchange is a community service, however access is not guaranteed and the Salt Spring Exchange is not liable for any content or transactions made or facilitated through the service.
Moderators may restrict listings at their discretion.
How do I register with the Exchange?
To register with the Exchange, visit the Exchange Registration Page. Enter a username that you would like to use, enter your email address and click 'Register'. A password will be e-mailed to you. You can then use that username and password to log-in to the Exchange. Cookies must be enabled in your browser for registration and log-in to work.
I’ve lost my password for the Exchange, how do I get a new one?
Visit the 'Lost Password' page, enter the username or email address you used to register with the Exchange. Click the 'Get a New Password' button. A new password will be emailed to the address on file. Once you have logged back in you can change this password on your 'My Profile' page.
How do I post a listing on the Exchange?
Once you have registered, visit any page on the Exchange and click the 'Post An Ad' button. This button is at the top right of every page on desktop devices, or in the hamburger menu on the left on tablet/mobile devices. This will open a form with listing details which you need to fill out. Moderators review and approve ads numerous times a day. If your ad does not meet the moderation guidelines it will be discarded.
How do I respond to a listing?
You respond to listings by clicking on the 'Contact Owner' button below the content on each ad listing and then filling out the form. Your inquiry will be sent to the person who posted that particular ad listing.
How do edit, mark listings as Sold or upgrade my ads?
You can edit active listings, mark them as sold (recommended) or upgrade your ads with enhanced promotion addons via your dashboard when you're logged in with the account you used to post your listings.
What types of images can I attach to ad listings?
You can attach a photo in .jpg, .gif and .png formats that are less than 5 MB in size.
Can I attach files other than image files?
Only .jpg, .png and .gif format image files can be attached to ad listings on the Exchange. File sizes need to be less than 5 MB per file or they will not be attached. If you have PDF you want to attach, please first convert it to a .jpg file before posting.
How do I reactivate my ad once it is expired?
Once an ad is stopped or expired it cannot be reactivated. It must be resubmitted.
Why can't I see the details of individual ad listings?
Not being able to see individual ad listings on the Exchange occurs for some people with an ad blocker installed in their browser. Please disable or whitelist ad blocking in your ad blocker for saltspringexchange.com and it should work as expected.
How do I contact the moderators if I have additional questions?
If one of your questions is not answered here you can contact the Exchange moderators by filling out the Contact Us form. If you are asking a question that we have answered here, regrettably we will not be able to respond to your email.
How do I protect myself from scams?
Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
- Do not provide payment to anyone you have not met in person
- Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person
- Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer
- Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible
- Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee"
- Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc)
- Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist
- Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person