Obituary: John Anthony Edward McEwen

John Anthony Edward McEwen – Known as TONY - April 12, 1941 to September 07, 2020

A few years back, as a Hospice exercise, we both wrote our obituaries. Ever the quintessential lawyer, Tony could not leave the cause of death blank.

Having survived the battle of the bulge; the battle of wounded knee; his left foot; he finally succumbed to the certainty of life.

Tony was the love of my life, joy of my heart, centre of my Universe. My sorrow will be shared by our children, Suzy, Sarah and Ian; favourite son-in-law Wes; favourite daughter-in-law Anna; grandchildren Alis, Rory, Jonah and Piper; as well as our family and many friends, all of whom I thank for their love and support, particularly through the journey of the last five years.

Special thanks to Dr. Woodley for everything; Douglas Smith for Friday tea and cookies and latterly, for Wednesday walks, the MMN Boys, Tim and Grace for always being there, and Bootz, without whom we could not have done it.

Alzheimer’s is a terrible disease. Should you wish to make a donation in Tony’s memory, please consider: Hope for Wildlife, which provided endless hours of enjoyment; the Greenwoods Foundation for the Braehaven day program; Being Patient, a weekly Alzheimer’s newsletter.

Lovingly submitted by Liz Anderson

hopeforwildlife.net
greenwoodsfoundation.ca
beingpatient.com

September 9, 2020 8:06 AM

Community Comments

• Avatar Kim Dalton says:

Sending love to you and your family Liz. Tony was an unforgettable man. The world will be a little less sparkly without him. Big hugs to you and the kids. Xoxo

• Avatar Gayle LeBlanc says:

Two of my favorite people!!! Liz sending you love and our best wishes. Tony will be that bright sparkly star shining down on you as he loved you to the moon and back. Love to you and your family. Gayle & Jay

• Avatar kdpfinnz says:

Dearest Liz and family,
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    Sending hugs
    Love,
    Danielle Finnigan

• So sad to my condolences to Liz and family. To know Tony was a joy he was such a fun person to be around, even if his spinnaker sheet were wrapped around his mast he would still laugh, and see the bright side, RIP my friend. Scott Simmons

• Avatar Linda Adams says:

So beautifully written Liz, about a special man. Sending condolences and comfort as you deal with this loss. Linda Adams

• Avatar Evelyn says:

Liz and family,
    Sorry for your loss. Tony was a kind and generous person with his heart. Take care of yourselves.

• Avatar Gail Bryn-Jones says:

Dear Liz,
    So sorry for your loss. I always had the impression that you and Tony knew the inside joke; when you entered a room together your eyes were sparkling and I knew that someone would be having a good laugh with you moments later. Sending you patience and peace as you move though your sadness. Love, Gail.

• Avatar Mace51 says:

R.I.P, lest we forget.

• Avatar Ahava Shira says:

A lucky woman you were, Liz. To have loved so fully and deeply such a beautiful, sweet, joyful man. And Suzy, to have had such a kind, open-hearted dad. You are both in our thoughts. Many blessings, Ahava & Greg

• Avatar Patti Labine says:

We were very sad to read of Tony’s passing and can only imagine how much he will be missed. He brightened many a dull day with his insights, quick banter and good humor when we’d meet at the mail box or around the island. Our deepest condolences Liz. Tom and Patti